Thursday, March 10, 2011

Proud to Be A Bulldog

One specific time I can remember how being a Drake football was important came last spring. I went on my spring break to San Diego, CA to visit a friend. He was still in school and had a field trip to Dreamworks Studios in Los Angeles. Well knowing that I was coming to visit, he asked his professor if I could come along since we study the same fields. Professor said yes, and we were off to Dreamworks! During our visit there, we were in a "resume-building" session with Dreamworks' recruiters. Giving tips on how we can improve our resume and job interviews. The main recruiter was impressed that I actually came out there but what he was more impressed with was my resume he glanced at. It wasn't the under the video production experience or awards category. He just simply pointed at how I wrote that I am a Drake Football player and said, "That is going to help you...A lot". Just to hear that from a person who looks at hundreds of resume's each day made me realize how important it is to be a student-athlete. We deal with so many activities with playing our sport and then succeeding in school, that it will eventually give us the advantage in the long run! That's my story when I realized how important it is to be a Drake Football Player.

- Cameron Good, #4

P.S. - I currently have a website up right now for my journalism class. I created a blog/vlog that will focus on our upcoming trip!
So now you got 2 blogs to check out and get the latest info on our experience!

Hey Bulldog Fans, this week I want to talk about a time when Drake Football has been important to me.  When we played Jacksonville during the 2009 season, our team was losing pretty badly at half time. The JU team had basically packed their bags and was ready to get on the long flight back to Florida. But our team has too much pride to just roll over and die. We made a conscious decision to stick our foot in the ground and change the momentum of the game. They were in our town and on our home field. When the second half started, we came out with a new fire and passion for the game. We fought and fought and squeezed the life out of that
Jacksonville team until they had nothing left. We clawed our way back into the game and finally finished out the game with a victory against an incredible opponent. The feeling I had after that game is almost impossible to describe. Every player on our squad contributed to that victory and we all learned something that day. We learned that no matter what, you can never quit. Even when the odds are stacked against you because the odds aren't always right. We came out to play that day and showed the perseverance our team has. Since that time, our team has learned from more obstacles we have encountered and we are better for it. There will come a time next year when we are losing a game but if you take a look at the faces of the players on our team, you will see calmness about us. We play Drake Football for all four quarters. The strong overcome diversity and you can count on us to do just that this coming fall! Thanks for checking in again and as always, GO BULLDOGS!

Jim Nelson #13

Jim Nelson
Drake University
Marketing and Entrepreneurial Management
Drake Football


The time I was proudest of being a Drake Bulldog was my freshman year in light of a tragedy for our team. Before I came to Drake the senior leader, the captain, and one of the more passionate players I have ever had the privilege of playing with had his season ended his junior season due to breaking two bones in his arm. Now fast forward to early in the next season, I am watching and cheering when the other team breaks off a long run, and my eyes follow the football. But then I here a scream from the field “No, not again!” I turn my eyes in time to see Cale Hunt, our leader, falling to his knees clenching his arm. He is facing our sideline, which has been sucked into the silence of a vacuum. I can’t remember the final score; I just remember the sideline being broken with Cale’s arm and then, when he was carted off the field in the ambulance our game reaching a new level. We became better in spite of loosing our best player because we became something more than a team. We played harder, we cheered harder, we erupted forward into a passion for our football family, and it was this feeling that has driven me through all the hard times my three years since. Cale Hunt rehabbed and returned after his arm had broken twice. He gave everything he had for this team, and the team reciprocated, and experiencing something like that is what makes pride in being a Drake Bulldog something truly amazing to be a part of.

-Eugene "EJ" Walter 97

Thanks for reading.

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” -Arnold Schwartzenegger




No comments:

Post a Comment