Thursday, January 27, 2011

Africa:an experience of a lifetime

This is #30 Pat Cashmore and I'm writing my first blog. The trip to Africa is going to be a lot of things to a lot of people but I think this trip will provide a life-changing experience that as college students we will never forget. Drake and our sponsors are providing an opportunity for us as 18-22 year old men to explore a new continent and experience new surroundings. I have been fortunate enough to travel to China, and it was an awesome time! I had stepped out of my comfort zone, and learned about a new culture, which help me develop as a person. The trip opened my eyes to how big this world is, and how different everyone is. I'm ecstatic that we will be in Moshi, Tanzania! It has always been a goal of mine to travel to Africa, and now I get to do that with some of my best friends! One of the best things about the trip is that we will be doing work for an orphanage house, and also putting on football clinics for the city of Moshi. Many football players have said that this is what they are looking forward to most.
We hope all of the children in Moshi are at the football clinics because I know my teammates will provide the most fun that these kids have ever had. I know seeing the people in Moshi, and seeing the kids in the orphanage, will bring a life-changing event to our team. At times we take for granted: clean water, food, shelter, and I anticipate that this trip will be eye opening for my teammates and I. Then we will be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, and I have to admit that I’m a little nervous. I don’t know how the altitude will affect everyone, and that is kind of scary, but when it is all said and done I will be able to say that I have climbed it.
It will be awesome seeing this huge mountain, and enjoying the scenery at different elevations. The trip will fly by because of how much fun we will have, but I hope to cherish each and every moment when I’m there. This trip will have an impact on our life that we will never forget and I’m so fortunate to be a part of it.

Thanks for reading! I will have another post soon!
Pat Cashmore

No comments:

Post a Comment